Monday, July 10, 2006

Downe House, Cold Ash

No, not the setting for a gothic novel, but the reather pleasant summer school I am working at again this year.

Cold Ash is much as I remember it, although as the students arrived yesterday it's all a lot less peaceful than it was on thursday and friday! Kate spent 9 hours collecting them from Heathrow yesterday, which sounded fun, and seemed horribly stressed yesterday evening, but she bounced at me happily at lunch today after an apparently successful art class this morning, so hopefully the job will be ok! Activity Organisers work a lot more than Teachers, and we never actually have a moment free together, except for her one evening off each week, so we won't see much of each other, but that's ok. We'll cope. I start actually teaching tomorrow, which I wasn't worried about until I discovered that they chucked all my lesson plans and stuff from last year. The previous year they kept everyone's folders, so I left all my stuff here, but this year is disappeared, so I have to start from scratch. At least I rememebr a lot of the ideas!

At least I have a project idea already. We have to have something to present to the other classes on Friday afternoon. I'm growing watercress! and then doing a book or display on food from around the world, and for the display session at the end of the week, we'll make English cress sandwiches with the cress they've grown (I hope - otherwise cucumber, I guess!) and Australian Fairy bread to hand out.
Still working out the performance idea for Thursday evening's Entertainment Night. Something to do with the theme "Around the World", and the more general "cities" theme. hmm...

My students' blog should get underway tomorrow - the computer room is booked for the 3rd lesson, so that after some getting to know you activites and rules and procedures and info about the school and the week plan, we can go get the idea of writing online firmly into their heads for the week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

Are you allowed to call it fairy bread? Won't that offend certain members of the community?

Surely 'little bread' would be a better moniker.

:-)

July 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home