Friday, October 13, 2006

World's easiest job

So I think this job in Japan is going to be a bit of a walk in the park. I've been here three weeks now - the first week we didn't work at all, and our first working week finished in a three day weekend. This is a short week, then two full weeks until our next long weekend. In fact, in three months here, we never have more than 2 full weeks in a row. One of the advantages of living in a country that has the most public holidays of any country in the world, I think. And they are more concentrated in the second half of the year.
The other thing that makes this job a cinch is that I only have to plan one 40 minute session a day. Then I teach it three times over. 4 on Fridays. That's 3 40 minute sessions of actual teaching. And I have a total of 19 students, so only about 5-8 in each class. Then I have "English Challenge" three times a day, at least one of which is usually unattended, giving me an extra free session. English Challenge is more or less a free conversation period, although I may need to think up some conversation helpers like questions or topics sometimes. So far I usually just have 2 very high level students in EC, so we just chat, or I get them to help me with things like "what's this that came in my mailbox" and other useful things.
So I have 6 40 minute sessions a day in total. I have to be on campus 9 hours a day - 9.40 til 6.40. But the office here closes before 6.40, so we don't have to sign out (there's an internet site we have to sign into every day when we arrive - a time card, in effect), and on thursdays and Fridays, I have no class in the last period, so I get off early.
And on top of all that, I only live a 15 minute bike ride from my uni. This in a country where the average commute is an hour by train.
And for all this, I'm paid probably the best salary I've ever had, plus my airfare, plus a train pass (it's quicker to ride though) plus, today they gave us bus passes, as we live so far from the station - it's still quicker to ride though) that can be used on any bus in the tokyo area.
Yesterday I was actually bored. And worried that I was going to get very bored this semester. Today I'm more positive. I'm going to take this free time and USE it. Now I just have to think up some projects...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home