Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Blog Thoughts

Ok, so it's after midnight and I am again knee deep in a last minute assignment, and procrastinating. By writing blog entries. Not my travel blog, which is in desperate need of a few entries, but this one. Because I was thinking about blogs (for some reason it's hard to keep my mind on the present perfect, which is what I'm writing the assignment on...).

I'm coming to terms with having multiple blogs, with nicely defined and differentiated topics or purposes. I think at the end of this course I will attempt to keep this one occasionally updated with teaching thoughts, ideas and lessons that went well (or didn't). Of course, even with best intentions, I might not ever actually update it, but you never know. I'm getting so reflective lately with all this reflections I have to write as part of all my courses, that I might get reflection withdrawal if I stop suddenly in June. Probably safest to keep writing!

I've also been thinking of starting a 3rd blog. Which is probably excessive. But I occasionally feel the need for a blog no one knows about. When I worked out that was what my third blog would be for, I started thinking about how strange that is. Why write a public, published (albeit web-published) blog, if no one is ever going to read it? Why not just keep a word document on your own computer? I think it has something to do with exhibitionism and the possibility of others reading it. It seems my writing is like my cooking - I'll only do it for others to appreciate, and never just for me. I have started the odd journal before, but it never lasts more than about 2 entries, often months apart. But I will write a blog (as evidenced here!) that has a chance (however small) of being read by someone other than me. And I wouldn't tell anyone I actually knew about it, because then I wouldn't be free to write anything I wanted! I already feel that restriction with my travel blog - while it is my personal blog, it is also read by a wide range of family, friends and acquaintances, and the link is in my email sig line, so anyone I email can find it. This means I have to be a little circumspect sometimes, and edit!

So a secret blog seems like a good idea. If nothing else, it will give me yet another something to write when procrastinating from assignments, thereby saving midnight venting in less appropriate forums like this one! I just have to get over the first hurdle - a catchy title! hmmm....

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

How about a nice title like "This blog does not exist" if the intention is for it to be a hidden blog. Or "Secret Blog Bunker"?

or nonnontravelblog ? :-)

May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home